Saturday, April 21, 2012

Go Green Tip: Mancala!


So you just finished a carton of eggs...what do you do with the container? Well, I had the perfect idea for a fun egg carton project that is fun for the whole family--Egg Carton Mancala! Mancala is a game that I've always though was fun and I don't have my own Mancala game right now, so I tried to come up with an innovative, green way to get my own! 

Here is what I did:

1. Take your empty egg carton and carefully cut off the top. Once you have the top cut off, cut off each end of the top (a) as well as two pieces from the middle to the edge(b) as pictured to the right.



2. To make the end pockets, tape together each cut off end (a) and middle-to-edge pieces (b). Make sure the outside of the carton for piece b is facing the inside of piece a as pictured to the right.



3. Tape each end pocket to either end of the bottom of the carton. Make sure they are taped securely on the sides, top and bottom.





4. Fill each small pocket with four of anything, any color (I used jelly beans, but you can use cereal, rocks, beads, dried peas...be creative!) Now you are ready to play! You can find Mancala directions here. Not only is this game fun, but it also is a great way to help kids learn to count! And there you have another green tip that save you green!



Disclaimer: I have since looked this up and others are doing it too! That means it must be a good, green idea :) Have fun with it and comment below if you made your own and what you used in place of the marbles!

2 comments:

  1. This is a really cute idea. I kinda thought you were gonna say you used leftover jelly beans from Easter, but I guess those would get kinda sticky ... and you might lose pieces easily.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! We didn't have leftover jelly beans lol, but I figured use something that won't go to waste after :) This morning my son put his Apple Jacks in there lol. You can use different things every time you play :) Make it new and exciting every time!

    ReplyDelete